Current:Home > Finance5 members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey team to face sexual assault charges, report says -Capitatum
5 members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey team to face sexual assault charges, report says
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:23:58
Five members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey championship team have been told to report to the police in London, Ontario, to face sexual assault charges, according to the Globe and Mail newspaper.
That team has been under investigation for an alleged sexual assault of a woman in a hotel room after a Hockey Canada gala in the Canadian city in June 2018.
The newspaper said the five players, who were not identified, had not been charged and had a set period of time to report to police headquarters. The Globe and Mail cited two people with knowledge of the situation who it did not name because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the case.
"We are unable to provide an update at this time," a London police department spokesperson said in an email to USA TODAY Sports. "When there is further information to share regarding this investigation, we will be in contact with media outlets."
The department said on its website that it expects to hold a news conference on Feb. 5.
The NHL and the NHL Players' Association said they had no comment at this time.
What is the history of the investigation?
Canadian network TSN reported in May 2022 that an undisclosed settlement had been paid to a woman who alleged in a $3.55 million lawsuit that she was sexually assaulted by eight players — including members of the country’s gold medal-winning world junior championship team — after a 2018 Hockey Canada gala in London.
Further reporting by TSN showed that Hockey Canada's National Equity Fund had been used to settle sexual assault claims. The organization announced in July 2022 that an independent investigation had been launched into the 2018 team and promised reforms, including training on sexual violence and consent. Executives and board members have since stepped down.
Later that July, Hockey Canada said it was informed by TSN reporter Rick Westhead about an alleged group sexual assault at the 2003 world junior tournament in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said that July that the league was also looking into the allegations and that he expected full cooperation.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in June 2023 that the investigation was done and the league expected to have a report available for review in the summer.
Hockey Canada receives independent report
Hockey Canada said on Nov. 14 that an independent group's hearing into the case had been completed and the report had been turned over to the involved parties.
However, because of an appeal, Hockey Canada said the findings couldn't be released at that time. It expected the appeal to be heard soon.
"Hockey Canada has cooperated fully with the London Police Service throughout its investigation and we are committed to continuing to support the legal process," the organization said in a statement. "We confirmed with the London Police Service in advance that an announcement concerning the independent adjudicative panel will not affect its investigation.
"Pending the completion of the appeal process, all players from the 2018 National Junior Team remain suspended by Hockey Canada and are currently ineligible to play, coach, officiate or volunteer with Hockey Canada-sanctioned programs."
veryGood! (34)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Taiwan's companies make the world's electronics. Now they want to make weapons
- US postal worker sentenced to federal prison for PPP loan fraud in South Carolina
- Leading politician says victory for Niger’s coup leaders would be ‘the end of democracy’ in Africa
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Kellie Pickler speaks out for first time since husband's death: 'Darkest time in my life'
- Florida man missing for five months found dead in Mississippi River
- US judge sides with Nevada regulators in fight over Utah bus firm’s intrastate v. interstate routes
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Underground mines are unlikely to blame for a deadly house explosion in Pennsylvania, state says
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Rail whistleblowers fired for voicing safety concerns despite efforts to end practice of retaliation
- Georgia jail where Trump, co-defendants expected to be booked is under DOJ investigation
- Human trafficking: A network of crime hidden across a vast American landscape
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Are you a Trump indictment expert by now? Test yourself in this week's news quiz
- The British Museum fires employee for suspected theft of ancient treasures
- New York governor blocks discharge of radioactive water into Hudson River from closed nuclear plant
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Video game trailer reveal for 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III', out Nov. 10
Has California ever had a hurricane? One expert says tropical storm threat from Hilary is nearly unprecedented
US judge sides with Nevada regulators in fight over Utah bus firm’s intrastate v. interstate routes
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Las Vegas man killed trying to save dog who darted into street
Emergency services chief on Maui resigns. He faced criticism for not activating sirens during fire
A neonatal nurse in a British hospital has been found guilty of killing 7 babies